Welcome to the Foundation Stage section of the West Witney Primary School website.
At West Witney Primary School we greatly value the important role that the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) plays in laying secure foundations for future learning and development and as preparation for life. All children begin at West Witney with a variety of experiences and learning and have already learnt a great deal. It is essential that the practitioners working in the Foundation Stage build upon that prior learning and experience. This is done through ensuring that parents/carers, support staff and the early years practitioners work together effectively to support children’s learning and development.
Our aims at West Witney Primary School are to;
- Provide a safe, challenging, stimulating and caring environment which is sensitive to the needs of the child, including children with additional needs.
- Provide a broad, balanced, relevant and creative curriculum that will set in place firm foundations for future learning and development in Key Stage 1 and beyond.
- Provide opportunities for children to learn through purposeful play and activities in all areas of learning and development.
- Use and value what each child can do, assessing their individual needs and helping each child to progress to their ‘next step’.
- Enable choice and decision making, fostering independence and self-confidence.
- Work in partnership with parents/carers and value their contributions.
- Ensure that all children, irrespective of ethnicity, culture, religion, home language, family background, learning difficulties, disabilities, gender or ability have the opportunity to experience a challenging and enjoyable programme of learning and development.
Keep up to date with news from the Foundation Stage by reading the latest Curriculum Maps below.
Learning and Development
Development matters in the Early Years Foundation Stage.
The Prime Areas are:
- Personal, social & emotional development.
- Physical development.
- Communication & Language.
The Specific Areas are:
- Understanding the World
- Expressive Arts & Design
At West Witney Primary School we believe these areas are equally important and depend on each other to support a rounded approach to child development. We aim to deliver all the areas through planned, purposeful play, with a balance of adult-led and child-initiated activities.
The above Areas of Learning are all underpinned by The Characteristics of Effective Learning;
- Playing and Exploring - children investigate and experience things, and ‘have a go’
- Active Learning - children concentrate and keep on trying if they encounter difficulties, and enjoy achievements
- Creating and Thinking Critically - children have and develop their own ideas, make links between ideas, and develop strategies for doing things
We look for these characteristics in their play e.g. persevering, making links and being willing to try new things. These tie in with the school values and the Growth Mindset approach adopted by the rest of the school.
For more information about our Curriculum see the Early Years Policy below. If you are interested in your child joining West Witney please see our Welcome Booklet which covers more practical information about our Foundation Stage Department.
|EYFS Policy 2017||[pdf 215KB]|
|Foundation Stage Welcome booklet 2018||[pdf 1MB]|